Table of Contents
In this article I’ll show you how to migrate from your current WordPress forum plugin to wpForo.
Install wpforo plugin
- From your WordPress Dashboard go to Plugins => Add New.
- Search for wpForo.
- Install and Activate wpForo Forum.
Install go2wpForo Tool
- Go to https://wpforo.com/docs/root/migrate-to-wpforo/
- Download the latest version.
- Follow the instructions below the download link.
- After you’ve chosen the forum you’d like to migrate from (in our case we’re migrating away from Simple:Press) enter your database connection credentials or click on “Use current database connection credentials” if your forum database tables are located in current WordPress database.
- Click Connect.
- Enter full paths for avatars and attachments folders. If they do not exist or if you are not sure where they are, just leave them blank.
- Click Next Step.
- If everything is “OK”, click Next Step.
- Choose your preferred layout and items to import per cycle and then click Start Migration.
- Wait until the Migration finishes.
- That’s it, your forum should now be migrated to wpForo.
How to find your Database credentials
If for some reason “Use current database connection credentials” button does not work, follow these steps:
- Download and Install File Manager Plugin.
- Open WP File Manager.
- Find wp-config.php and right click on it.
- Click Preview.
- Copy copy in red.
- Navigate to 2goWpForo => YourForum.
- Paste those credentials here.
Keep same permalink
- Open your old forum.
- From your URL, note down what is after yoursitename.com/
in my case it is /forum/
- From WP Dashboard, navigate to Plugins => Installed Plugins.
- Find and deactivate your old forum plugin.
- From WP Dashboard, navigate to Forums => Settings.
- In Forum Base URL section, change community to your forum’s url (in my case it is forum).
- Click Update options.
- That’s it.
The best thing about WpForo is that it is constantly maintained and supported by developers and it’s design looks modern and attractive more than any other forum plugin out there.