Thanks to Pat Flynn from Smart Passive Income for the inspiration to create this page.
Some of these links are affiliate links that will earn me a commission if you click through and buy the product or service. I personally use every single product or service I list to run my online “stuff” and only recommend them because they’ve earned my trust and repeated business for being absolutely top-notch.
Websites And Blogging Article And Web 2.0 Sites
Online Income Payment Processing Tools Books
Experiments Odds And Ends
- Bluehost – I host all of my sites on Bluehost. Installing wordpress is a one-click deal and my experience so far has been all positive.
- WordPress – The definitive and most widely used blogging/website platform.
- Thesis Theme – This is a highly customizable theme used by many of the top bloggers and website owners. I run Thesis on all of my sites.
- AWeber – The gold standard for email list building and autoresponders. I started out using TrafficWave and then switched over to AWeber which is MUCH better.
- Ezine Articles – The best article directory for getting backlinks to your sites. The guidelines are stricter than many directories but the articles usually show up on the first page of google!
- Buzzle – This is another very highly ranked article directory.
- Squidoo – Squidoo is a hub-type site. Basically, a web page (they call it a Lens) that you fill out with their easy to use template. Squidoo ranks really well in search engine results and lets you include affiliate links on your lenses in addition to their built-in revenue sharing modules such as Amazon.
- Hubpages – Same as above with a different format and stricter guidelines. Ranks very well.
- InfoBarrel – I’ve written about 10 articles on InfoBarrel and so far, I’ve only made pocket change with the Google Adsense Ads they put up for you (as of 1/2011). You can also use the Amazon module and Chitika ads to increase your earnings Some writers make upwards of $1000/month with their articles. Workin’ on it.. 🙂
- Smart Passive Income – The blog of Pat Flynn. Aside from being a ridiculously nice and open person, Pat gives away obscene amounts of free information on his blog including THE backlinking strategy that works (which I’ve used to successfully climb to the first page of Google with my niche sites) and monthly income reports wherein he divulges how he makes a living online, how much he makes and how you can follow in his footsteps.
- Viper Chill – Glen Allsopp’s blog. This is another one of my favorite resources for learning about online income.
- Warrior Forum – This is THE internet marketing forum. The people here are the friendliest of any forum I’ve ever read. Many very successful and very wealthy people here giving out tons of great free advice and answering questions.
- eJunkie – If you want to sell an ebook or any kind of product on your website, ejunkie will handle the transactions and host your file for download. I use it on my opera singing niche site and it works like a charm.
- Paypal – Paypal handles credit card payments and charges a small fee for processing. This is currently the standard for payment processing. Clunky, not perfect, but the most widespread and accepted.
- ClickBank – Clickbank lets you browse various products and become an affiliate. Additionally, you can put your own product on Clickbank and let others help you sell it by becoming a vendor here
- Unique Article Wizard – I’ve used UAW to help my niche sites get to the first page of google, yahoo and bing. You write an article, chop it into paragraphs, reword it twice and boom! Hundreds to thousands of backlinks to your target sites. (Be sure to read THE Backlinking Strategy That Works on Pat Flynn’s site to learn the correct way to implement this powerful tool)
- Blog Blueprint – This is another tool suggested by Pat Flynn that lets you write a little 100 word article with your anchor text link and Blog Blueprint posts it on one of many highly rated blogs in their blog network. I don’t know how much of it has been this tool or both but along with Unique Article Wizard, Blog Blueprint has helped me get to to the top spots in google, yahoo and bing for several of my niche site search terms.
- Affiliate Marketing For Beginners by Corbett Barr. Corbett is an extremely cool guy. He built a 6 figure affiliate marketing income working part of the time from a beach in Mexico. Affiliate Marketing For Beginners is about as step-by-step as you can get for learning how to build a steady online income using affiliate marketing. It’s very thorough and written in plain, easy to understand language.
- Market Samurai – Market Samurai is THE keyword research tool of choice among internet and affiliate marketers. This tool has been invaluable in my affiliate marketing endeavors.
- The 4 Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss – This is the book that started it all. After reading it you just might find yourself inspired to quit your job, travel the world on the cheap, learn 6 languages and start a business. Or maybe you’ll call it crap. I’ve seen both happen.
- Minimalist Business by Everett Bogue – Everett is a very interesting individual with a fantastic energy. He’s also a very clear thinker on the topic of work/life balance, among other things. Minimalist business teaches you how to build a – you guessed it! – minimalist business that requires little maintenance on your part and earns a steady online income.
- Unconventional Guides by Chris Guillebeau – If you’re on the fence about the whole online income, quit your 9-5 stuff, Chris Guillebeau’s unconventional guides are a great place to start for a very detailed look at life through this lens. One of Chris’ most popular guides is “Art + Money (Yes, it’s possible!)” which explains how to make good money as an artist. Case studies included.
- Daily Burn – Track diet and exercise and visualize data over time. iPhone app makes data entry slightly less tedious.
- Quantified Self – Headquarters for all the self-made guinea pigs out there. Extensive resources section, talks from other self-experimenters and incisive blog posts abound.
- How To Run A Successful Self-Experiment – A succinct 411 on running a meaningful experiment.
- Cure Together – Very awesome site where people essentially crowd source symptoms and treatments to various conditions they’ve experienced.
- Four Hour Body – The official website for the book “The 4 Hour Body.” This is a wild view into extreme self-experimentation with much to learn.
- SugarSync – Backup, sync and access files in the cloud.
- Fiverr – (Thanks to Maren Kate from Escaping The 9 to 5 for this one!) Fiverr is a community of people who will do various tasks for just 5 bucks. This is a seriously useful site when you’re too lazy to do something menial or need a testimonial.